Saturday, May 9, 2009

Wish List Fufillment (Sort Of)

If you've been reading this blog for the past week, you probably saw some posts titled "Wish List Cards". Well, I decided that since there's no way I can afford the cards featured, that I would go after the next best thing.

So, since I couldn't have a Nick Markakis 2003 Bowman Chrome Xfractor Autograph, I picked up this card instead. It's not autographed, or shiny, and doesn't feature chrome technology, BUT it is a "true" Markakis rookie card, and until yesterday, I didn't own one. This is from the 2003 Upper Deck Prospect Premiers release, and is a nice addition to my growing Markakis collection.




Next up we have a 1958 Topps Brooks Robinson. This is not his rookie card, which was issues 1957, but is a nice alternative, and probably the oldest Brooks card I'll ever own. This is an interesting looking card, and I wonder if Brooks was happy with this photo. To be honest, it looks like he just smelled a fart, or is about to sneeze. I'm not positive about this, but that doesn't look like a uniform that would have been worn in the 50's either. I wonder if they donned throwback jerseys back then, as they do now? It certainly looks that way. I'm pretty sure I got a great deal on this card, especially considering its condition. The only real defects are the scuff mark on Brooks' nose, and some slight corner wear.

One Hall of Famer, and one potential Hall of Famer, not too shabby for less than $10 combined. Granted these aren't the cards of my dreams, but they're definitely affordable alternatives, and I am very happy to add both to my collection.

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen that Brooks card, but you have to wonder if they threw out any other photos because this was the best one. Congrats on getting ever so close to you wish list cards though.

    ReplyDelete