Friday, June 19, 2009

Wish List Card #3

I haven't posted one of these in a while, but there is most definitely still a wish list, and it most definitely grows by the day. Unlike the previous 2 cards on my wish list (here & here), this one is affordable (for the most part), and not quite as desirable. As far as I know, this is the original "error" card or "gimmick" card and since it's from the late 80's, there should be a ton of them still around. There are 4 or 5 different versions of this card out there, some blur out the profanity on his bat knob, others cover it with a black box. Me... I want the straight up profane version. Call me childish or immature, but there's just something about an F-bomb on a baseball card that really cracks me up.

I'm sure everyone knows by now that I am talking about this card

1989 Fleer Bill Ripken error card - The effing profane version
Whenever I see '89 Fleer packs, I buy them hoping to pull this card. If there are packs of '89 Fleer in my repack box, I am happy about that as well. If I pulled the Griffey rookie from this set, I would trade it away in a heartbeat for a Bill Ripken error card.

If anyone out there has this card (the effing profane version) and would be willing to trade it, please contact me. I've been dreaming of owning this card since I first laid eyes on it as an 8 year old boy... who thought the "f" word was hilarious.

Some things never change.

5 comments:

  1. I don't have it although I might also want it. I have the stupid one with the black box over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I ended up with 3 or 4 versions of this card but was never lucky enough to find the one with the f-bomb on it. And at this point I have no idea where the other 3-4 cards are. If I come across them, they are yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Beardy, no luck at the flea market today for this card. They had 3 of the black box versions and that's it. I'm sure that in some closet out there somewhere there are planety of the "rick face" versions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for a blog feature.

    You might enjoy this:

    http://billripken.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually asked my dad for this card for my birthday this year. I didn't think he'd get it, but one day an envelope came in the mail and the rest is history. I also got a Wonderful Terrific Monds and a Fred McGriff: http://greatsportsnamehalloffame.blogspot.com/2009/07/card-show-birthday-cards-including.html

    And that was just about the last purchase/gift I made before I started card blogging. So now I probably wouldn't buy it, but instead wait on the perfect trade.

    Sadly, I couldn't part with it. It's soooo awesome. But maybe I could find you some other cool Orioles lying around somewhere.

    ReplyDelete