Friday, June 26, 2009

Things That Make Me Go Hmmmmm

So I was watching SportsCenter this morning, and I see one of the "Top Stories" is that Alex Rodriguez has tied Reggie Jackson for 11th on the all-time Home Run list by hitting #563 last night. How do you think he hit as many as Reggie, in 5 FEWER SEASONS?!?!

What baffled me is how there was NO mention of the first 562 home runs, all of which may have been aided by PEDs. Let's call a spade a spade here, for Matt Wieters sake! If Jose Canseco is a cheater, if Barry Bonds is a cheater, if Sammy Sosa is a cheater, if Mark McGwire is a cheater, then Alex Rodriguez IS A CHEATER! The media's willingness to ALWAYS give A-Fraud the benefit of the doubt, and cast aside all of his foibles really pisses me off! He's an infidel, a liar, a cheater, and a juicer.

Perhaps I am biased, since he does play for the team I hate more than any other. Perhaps I am even more biased because I have always thought of him as a pansy and a whiner. More than likely though, I am not biased, and every media outlet in the world is. Even when he admitted to steroid use, the gauntlet was never thrown by ESPN, or SI, or any other important sports news outlet. They were all very nice for the most part, and gave him the kid glove treatment once the news was broken.

He isn't tied for 11th on the all-time home run list, he's securely in 3rd place on the all-time cheaters and jerk-offs list!

I'm just tired of this fruitcake still being discussed as one of the best ever.

Granted, the steroid era has tainted the reputation and statistics of every player who has held a bat in the past 20+ years, so it's really difficult to tell who truly was or is "great" and who is just a dirty, rotten cheater. I don't even have that much of a problem with steroids themselves, but I do have an issue with how certain players are exiled, and labeled as lairs and cheaters, while others are allowed to continue playing with only minimal damage to their reputations. Let's at least be fair about all this.

1 comment:

  1. agreed. Reggie is a legend. His name shouldn't be associated with A.Rod. btw, Reggies supposed to be in a poker tourney this fall. Know nething about it?

    ReplyDelete