Thursday, October 8, 2009

Wish List Card #8

It's been a little while since I've posted a "Wish List Cards" entry. If some of you are sick of hearing about my borderline Buffalo Bill Cody obsession, please feel free to stop reading now, as this Wish List Card once again features the Wild West's founding father.

This card is from the forthcoming 2009 Topps Mayo Football release, which features yet another retro-themed design. Last year's Mayo design was lifted from the original Mayo Cut Plug Tobacco cards, which were originally released in 1895. The origins of this year's design are unknown, and I would assume that it is a Topps' own, with a heavy retro theme. The design however, is not what makes this card awesome. No my friends, what makes this card awesome is the obvious parallel between "Buffalo Bill" and the Indian Head Nickel, which prominently features the image of a buffalo on it's "tails" side (which is showing on the card). Trading cards featuring coins are nothing new, especially not to Topps, who released an insert set, "Currency Connection", which was included in the 2003 Topps Gallery set. Last year's Mayo set also featured cards containing embedded coins, like the Cornelius Vanderbilt card below.


In the past I have always found these cards to be sort of gimmicky, but have to admit that seeing one featuring Buffalo Bill, which was released as a promo image for the upcoming Mayo set, forced my hand, and I'll be the first to admit that this card is pretty sweet looking.

If you're wondering where my interest in Buffalo Bill is rooted, please read THIS post, from a few months back. For those of you wondering why the hell Buffalo Bill Cody manages to find his way into so many sports card releases, I can't help you with that one. It's a mystery to me, and one that I am happy with.

1 comment: