Thursday, December 3, 2009

2008 Topps Chrome Football Retail Box Break Pt. 1

This is the box that was traded to me by Joe V, as part of a larger trade that was posted last week. It didn't matter to me that this was a retail box, it was still a ton of fun to bust, just like Chrome always is. I'm not building this set, and had never even opened a whole box of football cards before, so maybe my expectations were a bit different than some. Regardless, it was enjoyable, and knowing I had the chance to pull a Ray Rice or Joe Flacco rookie autograph sure didn't do anything to hurt that. Did I pull a Flacco or Rice auto? Nope. No I didn't. In fact, there wasn't an auto in here at all, but there were a ton of refractors and parallels to keep things interesting.

First up are a few base cards. I couldn't figure out which base cards to scan and show you, so rather than just be random, these are all cards of players who are on one of my THREE fantasy football teams this season.


Team: Vick-timized (8-4, playoff bound)

Jay Cutler
Cutler is my second QB in a 2 QB league run by Captain Canuck. There's a bunch of other card bloggers in it as well, but for some reason there is no trash talk. Lame. McNabb is QB #1. Get it? Vick-Timized? Yeah, I know it's lame.

Kevin Smith
This guy hasn't cracked the starting lineup unless someone is hurt in weeks. Canuck runs a 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR style league, with no flex, and Smith is buried behind Frank Gore, Cedric Benson and lately, LeSean McCoy.

Larry Fitzgerald
Meet WR 1 out of my 3. The guys in the background look sort of psychedelic. Far out man. Far freakin' out. I have the Fitz on my third team as well, The Long Bombs, with Shelly Long as the logo. Since this is the only card I pulled representing that team, they won't be featured. If you must know they are 7-5, and also playoff bound.

Zach Miller
Probably the weakest starter I've got, which is pretty darned good. Dude in the background has a sweet orange vest on. Must be hunting season?



Team: 26th of July Movement (11-1, playoff bound, #1 seed)

DeSean Jackson
Would you believe he isn't even an every week starter? It's a 2 RB, 2 WR, with a flex spot style keeper league I do with my friends every year. This is the first year of the keeper though. I have Ray Rice. 'Nuff said. DeSean doesn't start because I have MJD, and Rice, who I've dubbed MJD Lite as my starting RBs, but behind them is Cedric Benson, who is usually my RB/WR or flex player. To see one of my starting WRs and find out why poor DeSean can't get a start all you have to do is look down.

Randy Moss
Yeah. Randy Moss, Roddy White, and DeSean Jackson all on the same team. How I am only 11-1 and not 12-0 is beyond me. This happened to me last year as well, and in the first round of the playoffs, I played the only team that had beaten me during the regular season. I'll bet you can guess what happened.


There's plenty more to come from this box, including a bunch of inserts, and 20 or so refractors of assorted varieties. Hopefully you enjoyed this brief respite from all the Turkin-Off. It's right back to it after this post, but following that will most likely be the next part of this break. Unless some random moment of brilliance hits, and I have to post something else. Then the rest of tthis break will be immediately following that. You get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment