Thursday, June 4, 2009

Set Completed!

Thanks to Jeff of I Am Joe Collector, I have completed the 2008 Allen & Ginter base set. He sent me the final 7 short prints I was missing, and now I can say that I have officially completed a set. This is my first one ever, and I am relieved and thrilled to have it in the rear-view. Allen & Ginter has been my favorite release since my triumphant return to the hobby in late 2007, and is probably the only set, with the exception of some of the 50's Topps sets, that I can stand to look at long enough to collect the whole thing. I plan on building this years set as well. I can see how set building can become addictive. There's really something special about tracking down those last few cards needed for completion, and the feeling of accomplishment once you've tracked those suckers down. A little piece of satisfaction, in a world where that's sometimes hard to come by.

I really feel like I have accomplished something, and that's pretty awesome.

Once again, thanks to Jeff for sending me the following cards:
#301
#312
#316
#323
#325
#329
#348

If anyone else is trying to finish up this set, I have a TON of doubles, including a bunch of short prints, that I will gladly send out. I don't even want anything in return. There are literally 3 550ct. boxes full of doubles that I need to get rid of to make room for this years set, once it comes out.

5 comments:

  1. Way to go! I still need just two more, 83 and 312 to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might want to put together a A + G set. What year would you recommend? They all look pretty similar.

    I guess it might be cool to do this years set when it is released but it might be cheaper to do 2008 or 2007.

    What do you think El Beardarino?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I was elated when I wrapped my 2008 A&G set up.

    I'm planning on collecting this year's, too, although viewing it a bit warily. Last year was kind of challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I'm working on 1992 Studio as my first ever hand collated set. No, not as impressive as A&G, but it has cost less than $10 total and I'm just a few cards short... A&G is one of the few sets that has come out in recent years I can see myself ever trying to complete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the collation on A and G is good over the course of a case and thus I was able to complete a set easily. I ended up with 4 base sets and maybe a second with SP's. Buying 5 boxes should get you there, just make sure they are from the same case.

    ReplyDelete