Sunday, August 9, 2009

Storage I Can Feel Good About

Most of you won't give a hoot about this post. Card storage is pretty stale, and spending money on it just subtracts from the amount you could be spending on wax.

That being said, I have always wanted to find some sort of card storage happy medium, something that's functional, while also not being hideously ugly. I do like to display my better cards, so finding something that the little lady wouldn't complain about became a goal of mine.

Initially I was looking at THESE, but they are sort of expensive. My quest led me to the place where quests go to die... eBay. After looking though countless wooden storage boxes, I stumbled upon an antique cream cheese box from the 1940's. It was pretty cheap (right around $8) and the dimensions seemed to be ideal for storing top loaders upright, so they can be flipped through.

Well, it arrived yesterday and so far seems perfect. The good thing is that these boxes seem to be plentiful, and affordable. The bad thing is that there are a lot of sizes to choose from, and you have to make sure the one you purchase will fit. For instance, there are 2lb. American cheese boxes out there that are just a smidge too small. There are also 5lb cheese boxes out there that may be a little too wide for some people's liking. The one I picked up is a 3lb cream cheese box, and is absolutely perfect. It's also wooden, which appeals to my masculinity, and an antique, which makes me appear sensitive at the same time.


Check out that quality dovetail contruction. They just don't make stuff like they used to. This box is over 60 years old, and still feels very sturdy. I'm definitely going to be picking up another one or two of these.

Sorry about the Posada card in the last picture. I swear I was sorting piles for trades, and am not secretly a closet Yankee fan. I don't appreciate those accusations, and am offended that you even thought it.

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some fine dovetailing. Must have been some really high quality cheese. Seriously though, that is a class way to display cards. Unless you're right about no one caring there may be an upturn in the price of cheese boxes. Beardy's little stimulus package.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look cool. It would look good as a display piece, rather than just being stuck on a shelf somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, if you ever grow tired of collecting cards you'll have the perfect storage container for all of your extra cheese. It's a can't lose proposition.

    I agree that the initial dispay case in the link may be a little expensive, but it does look perfect for all of my graded 1988 Topps cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really sweet! When I was a kid my moms gave me an old oak card catalogue box for my cards. It's still in use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, now I'm all curious about how exactly they stored cream cheese in those things. That seems like one extra giant brick of cream cheese.

    I'm actually looking for something to store cards like that. That could be the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty cool storage box.

    As a fellow collector, and friend I would be a tat concerned about the open top. There is always the possibility of something accidently getting spilled on top ( god forbid). If that where the case then you would lose quite a bit of nice cards in one pop. As your collection grows ( im sure it is) you might want to look into a cabinet that suites you, and the little ladies taste( trust me I know how hard those things can be).

    Mojo

    ReplyDelete
  8. i just picked up one on ebay, I keep all of my top loader cards in team set bags so not as much concerned about the lack of top that mojo hand mentioned. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its funny, I remember when I collected cards as a kid, my mom would always give me empty velveeta boxes, which turns out are the perfect size for cards. Not in top loaders though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is the perfect solution to my own "staging area" dilemma, which currently involves many stack of cards on top of the wooden bureau in our bedroom. The wife is getting a bit tired of it, and I can't blame her. I think I'll get her a few cheese boxes for her birthday. The perfect gift, right?

    ReplyDelete