Monday, August 24, 2009

Random Packs From Tribecards

A few weeks back I was fortunate enough to have received some random packs from David of Tribecards. Granted, everyone who responded was fortunate enough to receive cards, which makes it all the more remarkable that David got them all sent out. Everyone who has posted them so far has gotten much more than they ever expected. I won't keep you in suspense, and let you know from the jump that I also received more than I was expecting. Not only did the packs include a few "hits", there were also several cards that I found quite interesting, and had never seen before.

I debated for a few days about which card to begin this post with, and managed to convince myself that if one has a card this ridiculous and awesome, then one has no choice but to start with....

KARATE ELVIS!
This is a 1992 The River Group Elvis Collection card, and it is kickass. Chubby, mutton chop, Vegas Elvis is my absolute favorite Elvis era. This is a still from Elvis' appearance on "Kung-Fu", starring the late David Carradine, and it's really awesome!


These next 2 are pretty sweet as well. I loved TMNT when I was a kid, and they are one of the prime reasons I believed Rafael Palmeiro was Italian in descent. They are from the 1990 Topps Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie set.

Remember how hard the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles video game was? The level where you had to swim in the sewer used to be my demise.


Sticking with the movie theme, here's an E.T. card from 1982. It was released by Universal Studios, and is in really good condition. I was one when this set was released, so it's cool to have one, especially since it was obviously issued before my time as a collector. The star border on this card is awesome.

Here's another non-sports card. This one is quite strange, and appears to have been released by Harley-Davidson. It's a custom motorcycle set technically released by Thunder Productions, but a close inspection of the fine print reveals that Thunder Productions is affiliated with the Harley Davidson Company.I'm not big into Harleys, but this one is pretty nice looking.

All right, enough of the non-sports. Let's see some baseball cards. First up is a 1996 Topps Stadium Club Eddie Murray. Even though he's not in an O's uniform, it's still an Eddie Murray card, and he still looks all business.


A Barry Larkin Diamond King. This one is from 1990, and definitely takes me back to my childhood collecting days.


I'm really starting to get tired of seeing this guy on baseball cards, but I didn't already have this one, and it's a nice compliment to the '08 version that I already have.

There were a few Orioles to be found in my random packs of kindness as well. I already had them all, but it's always nice to pull a card of your favorite team from a pack of cards, even if it is a repack of kindness.

1990 Topps Bob Melvin

1992 Topps Stadium Club David Segui

1991 Score The Franchise Cal Ripken Jr.
Those "The Franchise" inserts were hot little numbers back in the day. I always like them, but not as much as the Dream Team inserts, and it was pretty cool to find a potential future Hall of Famer waiting for me. Of course I'm talking about the card below, a 1993 Score Dream Team insert of Tom Glavine.


Speaking off Hall of Famers, here's a 1992 Fleer Ultra Ozzie Smith card. 1992 was the heyday of my childhood collecting days, and this was one of my favorite sets. Ozzie was in his twilight at this point, and was still a ton of fun to watch.


Wow, this has to be the ugliest female superhero ever. She's so.... green... and strong. This card is from 1993, and was released by Skybox. It's part of a Marvel Comics set, and is definitely interesting I don't know much about comic books, they were never really my thing. I can appreciate the artistry of them and all, which is why I like this card. They were just never really by bag is all.

Another 1991 Score Dream Team card of a Hall of Famer. Kirby Puckett was my little brother's favorite player growing up. Even though he wasn't an Oriole, which I viewed as a betrayal on the part of my brother, I couldn't really blame him for liking Puckett. He was one hell of a player, and definitely one of those guys you could never really dislike. He played his heart out and left us too soon.


I mentioned earlier that there were some "hits" included in my random packs. It was pretty cool to find them both, especially since I had no idea they were going to be in there. First we have a 2004 Upper Deck Legendary Cuts bat card of Joe Morgan. I really like the design of this card, and having a bat piece in the shape of an H is much better than a boring ol' square.

And finally, a 2003 Upper Deck Sweet Spot Classic Mark McGwire patch card. This is manufactured patch, which isn't exactly my favorite thing in the world. It's also of Mark McGwire, who isn't my favorite person in the whole world. He betrayed most of us, and made a mockery of the game. He was among my favorite players in the late 80's early 90's, so I took it personally. It's still a nice card, and once again unexpected. One could definitely do worse.

David, thanks a lot for the random kindness. I really enjoyed checking out some cards that I otherwise never would have seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment