Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Why I Hate the Yankees Pt. 1


The year was 1996, and for the first time since I'd moved to Baltimore (in 1986), the Orioles had made the playoffs, and looked poised to make a run. The day was October 9th, and the Orioles had a 4-3 lead over the Evil Empire in the bottom of the 8th inning. Derek Jeter hits a shot to right field, but it doesn't appear to be out of the yard. Orioles right fielder Tony Tarasco at least appears to have a bead on it and is tracking it down to preserve the lead for Baltimore.

We all know what happens next...JEFFREY "FREAKIN" MAIER, a 12 year old kid sitting in the first row of the stands in right field, reaches out and knocks the ball back into the stands. The umpires immediately rule that it was a home run, and the Orioles would go on to lose the game in extra innings, and the series in 5 games.

Evidence clearly shows that the ball would not have left the yard, and that at best Jeter should have been awarded a double. I doubt Tarasco would have caught it, but that's an argument for another time.

What I have a problem with isn't even the fact that Maier helped the Yankees "cheat", or that the Orioles lost the series. What makes this the #1 reason why I hate the Yankess is having to hear Yankess fans chant "JEFFREY MAIER" over and over again at Camden Yards for the next 10 seasons whenever I attended an O's-Yanks game. The kid couldn't even catch the ball! The best he could muster up was to deflect it back into the stands.

Also, check out the douchebag look on his face in the heat of the moment.



And that, ladies and gents, is part 1 of why I hate the Yankees. I encourage all the other Yankee haters out there to please share your stories, and remember that hatred of the Yankees is a natural, zesty enterprise. You are not alone!

EDIT: I also love it that his wikipedia page says "see also: Steve Bartman"

6 comments:

  1. I'm on record as saying that I could start a blog on why I hate the Yankees. I'd have endless material. (And probably lots of hateful comments).

    Looks like you've beaten me to it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to stay contextual about it and not let emotion take over.

    Feel free to share your stories as well. There's enough Yankee hate to stretch across the globe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, that kid should be ashamed of himself. Not for interfering with the play. I think most people would have done the same thing (same for Bartman). He should be mocked and shunned because he is a 12 year old boy WITH A GLOVE who couldn't catch the ball.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about the face Motherscratcher? What about the face?

    ReplyDelete